Location, location, location...It's everything for a picnic. Do you want to picnic in fields, on a beach, on a cliff top with a view, in a park, by a stream, in your garden? Wherever you choose, make sure it's a safe and shady location. Look for somewhere local, or adventure off and discover a brand new place on a whim.
Well, its not really a picnic without food is it? Perhaps you could theme your food (English high tea, african safari, parisienne bistro anyone?) or just go with what is fresh, easy and filling.
Now you if you have the time and inclination you could create some wonderful home-made delicacies - want some ideas? Check out some picnic recipes
Otherwise, why not pick up some easy bits and pieces at the local supermarket or fresh food market?
- Roast Chicken
- Fresh Bread or Rolls
- Fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, peaches, nectarines)
- Lollies or something else for the sweet tooth
- Make some jelly and put some fresh fruit chunks in it
Whichever tipple you decide, make sure you stay well hydrated and have plenty of water on hand.
- Freeze some water bottles and use them as ice blocks for the cooler bag (and drink the water as it melts)
- Champagne or wine
- Or pre-make a refreshing summer cocktail and serve them in plastic cocktail glasses topped with an umbrella
- Create fresh juices
Cooler Bag to keep your drinks and food cool
Picnic Blanket - bring some pillows and a chair or two for extra comfort
Picnic Basket (or just a few shopping bags) - be sure to put in enough plates, cups and cutlery
Corkscrew for wine - or make sure you get some twist top bottles
Moist Wipes to clean up your sticky fingers
Tissues/Napkins (or toilet paper ;)
You may just want a lazy day picnic or you may want to be a little more active. It's all up to you. Here are some ideas of things you can do to enhance your outdoor excursion.
- Camera to take gorgeous photos and capture memories. Take pics of the food, surroundings, each other, goofy poses...
- Frisbee, cricket bat and ball, hackey sack
- Notebook and coloured markers to write down goals and dreams together, plans and activities for the future
- Portable iPod player (and iPod!) for some ambient tunes or sing along songs
Make it as you wish SSSs!