Saturday, February 12, 2011

Oooh Organic!


How beautiful does all this fresh food look? I heard somewhere once that the more colourful the food is on your plate, the better it is for you...I don't know the validity of the statement, but it makes some sense and it looks gorgeous

So going raw also means going organic. Which is quite pricey...But the benefits seem to be worth it. BFF C did say that the food may be a little more expensive. But this is our health, so I am definitely willing to invest in it. Plus we're not going to be doing a lot of eating out so ultimately this may turn out cheaper.

I took a stroll around the local health food supermarket called About Life and snapped the picture above. I've been in there before, but this time I was really paying attention to raw ingredients and the organic fruit and vegetables.

What is organic? There are many different definitions complicated and thorough, but basically, my understanding is that organic food is generally grown without the use of synthetic or artificial methods. No pesticides, insecticides, fungicides, well, no -cides in general really. It is food grown traditionally only using natural methods. That way you are only putting natural food stuff into your body without the arguably harmful extras. Just good natural fresh fruit and vegetable. There is also a movement that this farming is done ecologically with as little damage to the natural environment as possible. I'm sure it emcompasses much more than that but I'm sure you get the gist.

What is raw? Eating raw basically means food that hasnt been heated to over 46 degrees celcius. This is supposedly the temperature that enzymes that are good for your body start breaking down and less useful. So things that are heat treated or roasted or taosted are not in this category.

From my readings there are many different versions of the raw food diet. If you want to know more in-depth official information, Google it and you will find all you need to know! I'm easing in to this and finding out the information that I need to know and that is relevant to me as it becomes important. There truly is masses of information out there.

Our version is pretty much only raw fruit, vegetables, nuts and legumes. No meat, no seafood or coffee or bread or pasta and no alcohol (though we did discover that it is okay to have organic wine...if push comes to shove, but we are definitely aiming no alcohol.

I've heard some great things about this book called Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr. I've tried to see if it's available in Sydney and the bookshop said that it would be in on the 15th of Feburary (exactly the date we start on the challenge). From what I've read it is written in a very upbeat, positive and accessible way. Plus I love her tone and style of writing. So hopefully it should be in my hands shortly.

Make it as you wish SSSs!
Arienne xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...